As we each settle into the new year, we are beginning to give life to our personal goals which may include a healthier and more powerful mind, a cleaner and stronger body, and in some cases - a complete shift in our lifestyles. Cultivating a sustainable lifestyle is not only vital to the preservation of our lives, it is vital for our planet. As individuals, there are so many ways to give back to Mother Earth! It continues to be our pleasure to highlight brands to shop and support that we believe are working hard to make an impact and evolve with sustainability at the forefront of their operations. Today, I want to talk about the concept of clean beauty and point out how subscribing to a clean regimen is beneficial to our planet. What is that saying that goes something like “Act how you want to feel”...? We would like to reinforce the notion that mindset matters. All happy girls are pretty girls, and I don’t know about you but when I am clean and my space is clean, I am happy. It is the small strides we make that add up to making a big difference in our well-being and a positive impact on our planet. Starting my day with a clean skincare and beauty routine has made all of the difference in how I feel that day, which inspires me to not only make other conscious choices throughout the day, but to also share them others.
I am sharing an easy step-by-step guide on how to achieve a clean beauty routine, which includes a personal review on my very first “clean beauty” product and how I felt afterward in contrast to my old routine. So don’t be shy, jump in and share some of your favorite clean and sustainable beauty brands with us below!
vous êtes belle!
you are beautiful!
IT'S CLEAN AND SIMPLE
UNDERSTAND THE MOVEMENT and the toxic ingredients list. Need quick and specific product clarification? Download the app “Think Dirty” that uses a rating system to determine ingredients that have potential negative health effects. Research clean and sustainable beauty brands that are toxic free and use few ingredients, vegan, and make use of recycled materials for brand packaging. Make a list and do some window shopping!
THE DIRTY STUFF
- BHA and BHT : These chemicals mimic estrogen causing infertility, can cause allergic reactions in your kidney, thyroid, and liver, and can be cancer causing.
- DEA Compounds : Can disrupt hormones and cause fertility issues.
- Formaldehyde : On its good days, formaldehyde causes allergic reactions. At its worst, this chemical was deemed a human carcinogen by The International Agency for Research on Carcinogens (IARC) linking it to occupational related cancers.
- Parabens : These type of preservatives keep bacteria from growing, but they are also linked to an increased risk of breast cancer when soaked into your skin.
- Petrolatum (also known as petroleum or liquid paraffin) Deemed a possible carcinogen.
- Phthalates (aka Fragrance) : Smells great, but it's a carcinogen and hormone disruptor
- Propylene glycol : A skin irritant known to cause hives and allergic reactions.
- Sulfates : A foaming agent and was used as an industrial degreaser
- Sunscreen chemicals : These products are easily absorbed into the skin, in turn, cause damage to your skin and cancer in your body.
- Triclosan : If it being a pesticide didn’t give it away, this chemical can interfere with breast development, thyroid hormones, which regulate metabolism and overall hormonal issues.
- Toluene : Used in paint thinner and can severely affect your respiratory system and cause major damage to an expecting mother and her baby.
THE CLEAN STUFF
INITIATE THE SWAP by starting with skincare and prioritizing the products you make most-use of, first. Making the switch can start with just one product and should begin with your everyday hygiene products. Start with everyday products like deodorant, body lotion, face moisturizers, shampoo + conditioner, body wash, face cleansers and sunscreen.
Is your skin thanking you yet? Now, it’s time to move on to a non-toxic makeup routine. Before getting started, I suggest purchasing a sustainable make-up bag to ground and celebrate your new routine. Something earth-friendly made out of recycled or plastic free materials. Again, initiate a swap by starting with the products you apply most of. For myself and many, this means swapping out foundation, mascara, and lip beauty.
COMPLETE THE SWITCH by replacing serums, creams, blush, eyebrow pencils, eyeshadows, and liners until your personal beauty counter is toxic free and you feel that very dirty and heavy weight lifted.
Cocunat : A Sustainable Makeup Review
- All Cocunat products are 100% toxic free
- Cocunat is better for the planet : sustainable practices include using biodegradable ingredients and 100% recyclable packaging
- 100% vegan and cruelty free. Absolute respect and love for animals, always.
- More than 90% of the employees at Cocunat are women with a lot of power, energy and the desire to change the world. 99% of the managerial positions are held by women. So that’s awesome.
Lash Me Up : I will be buying this again and again. A lightweight formula (I forget I am wearing it) that provides a natural look and is easy to layer and build on for a more dramatic look. This product actually separates my lashes..and is so easy to take off at night.
Beauty Base : Non-greasy, natural look and feel weight medium weight coverage. Like all Cocunat products, this formula is made with natural ingredients including hylaronic acid which moisturizes and helps prevent anti-aging.
Cheek Boost : This product enhances my cheeks with a natural volume effect. You can layer blush on top but I find that this can be used in replacement. A tiny bit instantly does as the name says, boosts my cheeks! I swear it makes them look more plump in the good way.
Magic Brush : A silky smooth concealer that offers a medium weight coverage for under eye circles and blemishes. A whole lot less thick and tacky then my traditional concealer. This product seamlessly melts into my skin while brightening up my face.
Love the ground you stand on and take care of the skin you are in.